eWallet excluded from AppWorld thanks to RIM silliness?

app-world

I really enjoy reading the posts on the Ilium Software blog, but today’s post just kinda ticked me off. I’ll make myself clear, though: I’m not mad at Ilium, I’m mad about the silly decision making from RIM. Apparently eWallet just cannot get onto the AppWorld catalogue because of the “strong export restrictions” due to the  encryption on the app. But honestly, who would want a wallet application without encryption? That’s like buying a cup without a bottom.

Maybe that’s not the complete issue, but I’ve used eWallet on two mobile platforms (iPhone/WinMo) and have found the export functions to be extremely flexible. I don’t see why RIM has to be more controlling than the other app markets. When AppWorld doesn’t feature something that the iPhone’s  stringent App Store will approve, you know something is wrong.

You can, of course, still buy eWallet for the Blackberry, but it just won’t be advertised right on the device like the 2000 other apps on AppWorld. Sigh. Good luck, Ilium!

[from Ilium Blog]

Be Sociable, Share!
  1. #1 by John D. Sheridan on July 10, 2009 - 4:40 pm

“Strong export restrictions due to the encryption” has nothing to do with the export functions of the software, and nothing to do with RIM being controlling. The US Government has always had strong restrictions on software the uses encryption being exported to other countries. They’re probably stricter now. It also depends on exactly how the program uses encryption and what you can do with it. RIM may just be doing a little CYA’ing until they make sure they’re in compliance. Obviously Apple feels that they are in compliance, RIM just needs to figure out how they do it.

2. #2 by Thomas on July 10, 2009 - 5:29 pm

ah, I had no idea that the physical exportation of the software was the issue. Thanks.
    At the same time, though, it’s not as if eWallet isn’t currently being sold around the world. Why the particulars with AppWorld?

3. #3 by John D. Sheridan on July 10, 2009 - 10:27 pm

The restrictions on encryption have been around for awhile. I have installed several applications for Windows/DOS over the years that carry a warning about it. I suppose somehow they think that our “enemies of the state” don’t already have their own, but I guess they don’t want to give them any help.

Don’t know why AppWorld would be different, other than maybe different lawyers. Surely the Apple store is available in “those” countries; maybe they have a way to (try to) block downloads of certain software to certain locations, and RIM doesn’t.

4. #4 by Ellen on July 13, 2009 - 2:38 pm

This “translation:: http://tinyurl.com/m73zq5 of your post really made my day. “That’s like buying a cup without a bottom” became “That’s like buying a cup without a ass”.

5. #5 by Thomas on July 13, 2009 - 2:54 pm

Good grief. It’s even from a site called “just another walrus club”. Give me a break!

6. #6 by John D. Sheridan on July 21, 2009 - 9:02 am

Read some of the other reviews on that site. That HAS to have been run through translation software, several times probably!

7. #7 by Ray on September 6, 2009 - 1:57 pm

I just purchased my first Blackberry (I have been using Windows based Smartphones).
    I have been an eWallet for almost as long as it has been available! I bought my first copy in 1978 for a Windows CE device.
    I searched for a wallet program for hours on Appworld with no luck finding anything close.
    Then I done what I should have done in the first place…
    I went to the iliumsoft website just to check, I was elated to see that it was in fact available for the Blackberry. I downloaded it immediately, set it up to sync with my desktop and it works flawlessly as expected. Their (iliumsoft ) support and service is second to none.

That is to bad Rim won’t post it in appworld, there are a lot of people out there that would find the program very usefull.

sign me:
    A happy eWallet user for 11 years now!

You must be logged in to post a comment.